Directory Leasing feature in Samba smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Sep 4 00:53:08 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 12:36:05AM +0000, Krishna Harathi via samba-technical wrote:
> To make it clear, steps I listed are for the setup I wanted to test *before* adding test-cases to Samba. Our vested interest in this feature is purely due to the fact that the windows client seems to take advantage of this directory leasing by caching and thus improving the response time of a specific workload. So I need
> to setup this workload that first works with native windows SMB implementation . The same setup eventually should also works with Samba smbd for us once directly lease is implemented.
>
> On the matter of adding test cases to Samba torture set, I completely agree with what you and Jeremy pointed out. It will/should be based only on SMB2/3 protocol request/response interaction. There is no intent to make the client-caching  and other aspects of the above setup as part of samba directory leasing tests.

One more test I'd like to see (if we don't already have it)
run against a Windows server then encoded into smbtorture
code.

Open a directory handle with RWH lease, then add a file to
it from the client with the lease - see what the break
semantics are for your own lease.

Yes I'm sure this is well documented, but theory and
practice are sometimes different :-).