issues with oss-fuzz and missing libraries (avahi-common)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 22 00:41:48 UTC 2020

I've spent a day or so merging Douglas's work to have seeds for our
oss-fuzz build and trying to fix the coverage build.

We have the coverage build mostly working, but we do see this:

Error occured while running fuzz_nmblib_parse_packet:
/out/fuzz_nmblib_parse_packet: error while loading shared libraries:
libavahi-common.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

It appears that while our RUNPATH setting works well for the first level of libraries we link to, those on which libc depends are not found in $ORIGIN/lib, because RUNPATH is not applied recursively.

Others have hit this in general, eg here:

https://superuser.com/questions/192573/how-do-you-specify-the-location-of-libraries-to-a-binary-linux#comment1771162_192678

This isn't just for the coverage stuff - I've checked, and the impacted fuzzers just never successfully run, which is a big problem.

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba