about "ea support" parameter

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 26 13:38:43 UTC 2020

On 26/11/2020 12:31, Leo Fan via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> Thanks for your quick response!
>
> Glad to know both Windows and MAC apps make heave use of streams but not EAs, I am more confident that we can disable EA support.
> Both Data streams and EAs are used to store extra (meta)data of files/directories.
> I am curious which kind of applications would use EA.

I am not confident you can disable EA support. Why do you think the
default was set to 'yes' ? Could it have anything to do with an EA is
where the Windows ACLs are stored by Samba ?

If you set the permissions from Windows, the ACES etc are stored in an
EA, ergo, if you are using Windows, you really need EAs.

Rowland