[Samba] Win7 clients problem after upgrading samba file server to 4.12 on Arch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 9 09:06:47 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-05-09 at 09:38 +0200, pavlos wrote:
> Hi Volker, Jermey, and the Community,
>
> To be clear: I didn't analyze your code, I don't know structures of Samba, definitely I am not a person to judge and blame anybody :)
> I am sure that there were reasons, you wanted to clarify some issues around controlling share mode flags. And it's rather everything OK with your code.

G'Day Pavlos,

You appear to have identified a regression.  We take these very
seriously, even if only exposed by older clients.

You have done us an incredible service in identifying the faulty patch.
It is much easier to fix what things once we know how they were broken.

I notice Ralph has picked this up, which is awesome, and while I can't
speak for his eventual patch, for something like this a smb.conf option
or client OS detection isn't normally required, we are pretty good at
just fixing it to always 'just work'.

But none of this would even be a conversation without your diligent
efforts, and I hope you can get a good sleep after such an exhausting
chase.

You have met the same standard a Samba developer would take, to bisect,
then revert and prove the issue goes away.  Don't doubt yourself!

Thank you.