Linux Mint 4.15 Kernel and NTLMv2 account lockout with empty string password.

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Mar 20 10:19:36 UTC 2020

Hi,

I recently noticed the following problem with a 4.15 Kernel
on Linux Mint:

/etc/fstab has something like this:

> //172.31.9.132/share1           /media/cifs/share1      cifs vers=1.0,credentials=/media/cifs/cifsmount.creds.txt 0 1
> //172.31.9.132/share2           /media/cifs/share2      cifs vers=1.0,credentials=/media/cifs/cifsmount.creds.txt 0 1
> //172.31.9.132/share3           /media/cifs/share3      cifs vers=1.0,credentials=/media/cifs/cifsmount.creds.txt 0 1
> //172.31.9.132/share4           /media/cifs/share4      cifs vers=1.0,credentials=/media/cifs/cifsmount.creds.txt 0 1

172.31.9.132 is a Windows Server in a Domain with Samba AD-DCs.

The initial mounting works fine, but after some time Samba
logs WRONG_PASSWORD and finally ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT.

From various clients this happens about once per hour!

In order to debug this I extended wireshark.
wireshark was already able to decrypt NTLMSSP encryption
when an NTLMSSP password and/or a keytab is provided.
I extended that in order add some useful expert info
that shows which NTHASH was used for a given authentication.
That is also available with an Schannel encrypted Netr_LogonSamLogon*
call. This landed in wiresharks master branch a few days ago.

The customers capture didn't show that information,
which meant that the client used a wrong password
when it got LOGON_FAILURE from the Windows fileserver
(because that got WRONG_PASSWORD or ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT
from the AD-DC).

I cross checked that with smbclient and there wireshark
showed the correct password was used.

This is very strange and I had the idea to just check
if maybe an empty string password was used by the client.
So I created a keytab with the NTHASH of an empty string.
And wireshark showed that this NTHASH was actually used...

Has anybody seen this before? We'll retry this with a newer
kernel next week...

Otherwise any idea how to debug that?

metze