A question about LDB contexts in the standard and prefork process models

Nadezhda Ivanova nivanova at samba.org
Mon Mar 16 15:56:14 UTC 2020

Hi team,

For various reasons I got very much behind the current state of samba,
and I am trying to remedy that :). So I was looking into the work of the
LDAP server, and based on the code and some debugging, it seems to me
that a new ldb context is created per connection, when samdb_connect is
done during bind, and the same context is used until the connection is
closed. So, am I right in understanding that in standard process model,
there is essentially a separate ldb context per process, whereas in
pre-fork, there is still one per connection, but is shared between
processes? Also, it is unclear to me still what  ldap_service->sam_ctx
is used for?

Thanks,

Nadya