Samba File Server and Docker

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 9 22:29:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-09 at 20:03 +0000, Dan Seguin via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would have sworn I saw a snippet lately on the list about there
> being some issue with running Samba in a container because of
> required privileges (relating to namespaces?).
>
> I can't seem to find it. I may have seen it in the earlier archives
> when I was dredging for info.
>
> (I hope I'm not going senile here!)
>
> Either way, are there any issues with containerizing Samba (file
> server)?

Yes.  If you want to use vfs_acl_xattr, to store a full NT ACL, then
you will need the container to be privileged so it can store into the
root-only namespace.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Solutions
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba