New Contribute page on the wiki

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 19 01:52:54 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-06-19 at 11:38 +1000, William Brown wrote:
> > On 19 Jun 2020, at 11:13, Martin Schwenke via samba-technical <
> > samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Also, although the page goes close, I feel it is missing the beauty
> > of
> > this statement:
> >
> >  Finally remember that Samba is Git patches as performance
> > art.  Each
> >  is to be carefully prepared, polished and presented with love, as
> > a hand-
> >  crafted gift to the future.  The beauty is in the stream of
> > individual
> >  gems.  It often feels overkill, but here today we see why we have
> > the
> >  emphasis, because it means that anybody - even someone outside
> > CTDB
> >  expertise, can say 'sure, that makes sense', and review it.
> >

> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-July/129353.html
> >
> > I feel that the author of this statement really captured something
> > that
> > day and it would be a shame if it were lost to only the mailing
> > list
> > archive...  ;-)
>
> As poetic and beautiful as this statement is, the message it conveys
> is "Samba is hard" rather than "Anyone can be in this community".
> This could turn people away from wanting to start or contribute. So
> it's probably better to avoid things like this, as glorious and
> elegantly written as it is.

William,

I'm to sorry to have to say, but this really killed the mood.

Martin,

Thanks.  I really enjoy that you found the time to locate that, it
really made my day.  At the very least I'll include it as a link.

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba