Merge Request Template for Gitlab

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 9 18:35:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-09 at 19:19 +0200, Andreas Schneider via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I don't have any rights on gitlab repositories, could someone
> please setup
> the following Merge Request Template:

Thanks for suggesting this.  I've made that change so others can give
feedback based on how this works in the real world.

The only change I've made is to reference README.Coding not
CONTRIBUTION.md.

I've got some of my own comments below, and if we come up with a better
text I'll update it:

> ====== template ======
> Add a description of the new feature/bug fix. Reference any relevant
> bugs.
>
> ## Checklist
>  * [ ] Commits have `Signed-off-by:` with name/author being identical
> to the
> commit author

We should find a succinct way to reference clearly what this means
(and/or revise our policies so it is possible to understand simply!)

>  * [ ] Code modified for feature

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this checkbox.

>  * [ ] Test suite updated with functionality tests
>  * [ ] Test suite updated with negative tests
>  * [ ] Documentation updated
>  * [ ] CI timeout is 3h or higher (see Settings/CICD/General
> pipelines/
> Timeout)

This is not needed for the shared development repo, but saying so in a
succinct way will be a challenge.

Some wording pointing at the Contributing page on the wiki might be a
good idea also.

> ## Reviewer's checklist:
>  * [ ] Any issues marked for closing are addressed
>  * [ ] There is a test suite reasonably covering new functionality
> or
> modifications
>  * [ ] Function naming, parameters, return values, types, etc., are
> consistent
> and according to `CONTRIBUTION.md`
>  * [ ] This feature/change has adequate documentation added
>  * [ ] No obvious mistakes in the code
> ====== /template ======
>

> Settings -> General -> Merge Requests -> Default description template
> for
> merge requests

Finally, we should just be aware that this feature is not in GitLab CE,
so we would loose it (just as we would loose the Approve button) if we
moved off gitlab.com.

(That said, it is entirely possible GitLab will open source it if we
ask, so we should do that)

Thank you *so* much for proposing this.

Everyone else:

Please have a go with the templates over the next few days and help us
get one that helps us all!

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT