git signoff+ and review+

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 5 00:06:56 UTC 2020

G'Day Andreas,

I wondered if we could have an agreed set of aliases included in Samba?

I know that would be some duplication, but I see a big advantage in
taking advantage of the per-repo git aliases[1] to ensure everyone
working on Samba has common tools.

That would in turn mean that we can document our processes on the wiki
using the same tools we use, rather than the current 'do what I say,
not what I do' or more charitably 'these are the documented steps, but
Samba wizards do $THIS day-to-day'.

Things like review and sign-off scripts, Douglas's 'git mr-branch' and
even the 'git autobuild' hook (with the review check) should be set up
standard, just as we set up the commit check for whitespace (which has
done so much for ending whitespace wars!).

We would need to choose the command names well - they need to make
sense for newbies as well as experienced developers, but this could
make it a little easier for the next new developer.

Do you think we could collaborate on this?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

[1] http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/04/git-tip-of-week-aliases.html

https://git.cryptomilk.org/users/asn/dotfiles.git/tree/git/bin/git-signoff+