Samba Developers Guide

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 3 01:43:40 UTC 2020

G'Day,

I recently had the misfortune of cleaning up the docs-xml build system
and removed some old cruft.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1377

Once I got it going, I looked at the Table of Contents, which is
similar to this old online version:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-Developers-Guide/

I know I was the one who tried to save the Samba HOWTO and Samba By
Example books, but that irony aside: almost everything listed in in
this page there feels outdated, old or misleading.  We now have better
macros to replace CIVAL, for example.

However, it was decided to keep it and those of you in the To for this
mail have contributed to it in the past few years.

Can anybody say some words in support of this, or should this now also
be removed?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org