UNC vs Mapped Drive connection times

Krishna Harathi krishna.harathi at storagecraft.com
Tue Jul 28 22:21:12 UTC 2020

We are using Samba 4.7.11.

One of our customers is reporting that with Windows 7, 10 Explorer, connecting using Mapped Drive is taking 10 seconds are more compared to using a UNC path.

I am not an expert in this area, and I started investigating the difference between the two methods to identify and improve any bottlenecks especially in the filesystem underneath Samba.

Given the overwhelming number of variables/parameters in this context, I would very much appreciate this group’s collective expertise on pointing out any known issues to look out for.

Thanks.

Regards.
Krishna Harathi