What is the difference between a 64-bit fileid and a 128-bit fileid in Windows?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Tue Jul 7 22:29:10 UTC 2020

Richard,

The actual on-volume FileID, as used by NTFS and/or ReFS, is beyond my know-how.

If you are asking about the SMB2 FileId (the one returned and maintained by
the server), then see: [MS-SMB2; 2.2.14.1]

That section explains that the 128-bit FileId (as used in SMB2/3) is made up
of two 64-bit subfields:
* Persistent
* Volatile

As you probably know, the Persistent portion is maintained over (successful)
reconnects.  The Volatile portion can change.

I don't know if/how these are mapped to the on-disk FileIds that Windows
uses internally.

Chris -)-----