GSoC Update and Phase One Feedback

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Mon Jul 6 06:19:45 UTC 2020

On la, 04 heinä 2020, Alexander Bokovoy via samba-technical wrote:
> > I have decided to work with the Open Build Service, from the recommendation
> > made by Alexander, to build the packages for various distributions. I was
> > making the assumption that the most popular distributions used with Samba
> > AD DC are RPM and Debian based. I'm seeking the community's feedback so as
> > not to make the wrong assumptions on this.
> > I created an account with the build.opensuse.org and have been exploring
> > the UI and going through the documentation for OBS. I also created a
> > Webhook in Gitlab to push the code to build.opensuse.org when there is a
> > commit in the master branch. Is this the right way to do it or is there
> > another option?
>
> This sounds great -- we can start with RPMs as the spec file is already
> there from the Cockpit starter kit and it works, so it should be
> possible to instruct OBS to build RPM packages already. For Debian
> packages, I'll look tomorrow for an example (Cockpit is available for
> Debian, so we shouldn't have a problem to find an example for external
> plugin package build).

For Debian packaging, I found this very simple tutorial:
https://tribaal.io/very-simple-debian-package.html

And then there is a special helper that allows to add Debian packaging
to a nodejs app: https://github.com/heartsucker/node-deb

The latter is not exactly what is needed because it is tilted towards
actual applications, not plugins like we have, but it should help
started with a boiler plate.

Cockpit itself builds a tarball for javascript-related stuff
and then simply installs its content into the expected locations.

Andrew, can you please help with the Debian packaging?

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy