socket-wrapper fd-passing

Anoop C S anoopcs at samba.org
Fri Jul 3 06:06:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 18:28 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi Anoop,

> > > As Samba does not require that the socket is usable from two
> > > processes
> > > at the same time, I guess we can take a short cut and just pass
> > > the socket_info structure (an array of them) through the pipe.
> > > That would allow us to have multichannel tested in
> > > gitlab/autobuild.
> >
> > I am looking through your changes and will let you know in case I
> > need
> > more clarifications.
> >
> > > I'll see if I can get this to work. Once we have these basics,
> > > we can try to improve the design to be more generic with shared
> > > structures, when we really need it.
>
> I made good progress, see
> https://gitlab.com/metze/socket_wrapper/-/commits/fd-passing-unix
> https://gitlab.com/metze/socket_wrapper/-/pipelines/161689331

Great. Those preparatory patches from fd-passing-prepare branch looks
good to me.

As I look through the additional patch from fd-passing-unix
implementing the real logic, I am getting to realize the mistake(a big
one) I made earlier w.r.t catching SCM_RIGHTS at wrong place. Somehow
things got mixed up in my mind :-/ Also I am still figuring out various
details as we have fine grained checks for another set of arrays(of
integers, socket_info structures) in addition to ones we already have
with current code.

I will try to expand test_echo_tcp_sendmsg_recvmsg_fd_array added
towards the end to have inet sockets passed and tested in selftest.

altogether wonderful work !!