Linux io_uring VFS backend.

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 10:40:14 UTC 2020

Hi Jeremy,

> Any chance we can get the io_uring VFS
> code checked in for 4.12 ?
>
> Would love to see that as an option
> for Linux users.
>
> I'm happy to review / test !

Look at https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/529
I just rebased on current master.

The ubuntu 18.04 hwe kernel is up to 5.3 now.
But you need the liburing library from https://git.kernel.dk/liburing

I typically use
 ./configure --prefix=$HOME/prefix/liburing
 make
 make install

And for Samba

 PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/prefix/liburing/lib/pkgconfig/:${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}"
 export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
 ./configure ...

Note it won't currently work with a 5.4.15 kernel. The regression
is revert in 5.5 and most likely backported to 5.4.16.

Please test and it and play with the possible config options.
If you can provide some numbers, which show if the options have
any impact.

If everything works out ok, I'm happy to push it to master and
backport to v4-12-test.

I guess in the long run that module will be the default on
Linux. I'm currently discussing how to use IORING_OP_OPENAT2
from Samba and have the correct impersonation for the async
requests.

metze