GitLab CI back

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 14 09:25:12 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 16:09 +1100, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:01:16 +1300, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
> <samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > A big thank you to everyone for their patience, the GitLab CI private
> > runners are back now.
> > [...]
> > Let me know if you have any further problems, otherwise please just
> > restart the failed jobs.
> >
> > Finally, I would plea that some other interested team members learn how
> > all this works, so as to avoid having a single point of failure in
> > myself.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> No!  Thank you!  :-D
>
> peace & happiness,
> martin

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I also want to say a big thanks to Joe Guo, who did this work
originally.  It would not be possible to re-build the runner so quickly
without the ansible playbooks he wrote, I just had to:
 - understand them (or more particularly, read the README.md)
 - find where the images were being declared and
 - set up an environment to run them in.

The entire design here is 'infrastructure as code', and the way we fix
configuration issues like this is to rebuild the runner from scratch,
rather than update the configuration online.

The starting point is:
https://gitlab.com/catalyst-samba/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/ansible-env-setup.sh

https://gitlab.com/catalyst-samba/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/ansible-roles-clone-or-update.yml

https://gitlab.com/catalyst-samba/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/run-rackspace.sh