Help wanted: converting our GitLab CI scripts to modern Ansible

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 17 10:26:30 UTC 2020

The Samba GitLab CI bastian system (where gitlab-runner runs, spawning
new VMs per job) is built with Ansible.

However the Openstack module we are using, which is compatible with the
Catalyst Cloud and Rackspace (where it runs in productions), is not
compatible with the Oregen State University Open Source Lab (OSU OSL)
cloud that we want to move to.  This is despite this also running
Openstack.

The current sticking point appears to be that we create a volume (to
back to root hard disk of the server) which is not marked bootable.

MSG:

BadRequestException: 400: Client Error for url:
http://oprod-controller1.osuosl.org:8774/v2.1/4917f5faae154a619dddd437eeb053b8/os-volumes_boot
, Block Device b22d6488-9a5f-4c54-864d-e567ae5fda9d is not bootable.

We use
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/2.4/os_volume_module.html
but we need to be using
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/collections/openstack/cloud/volume_module.html

If someone has the time and expertise to port our scripts over this
would be most helpful.

The scripts are at:

https://gitlab.com/catalyst-samba/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/tree/master/gitlab-ci
and the roles we pull in here: