Samba testing on CentOS 8

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Dec 15 04:40:43 UTC 2020

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 11:25:35 +1100, Martin Schwenke via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 09:45:44 +1300, Andrew Bartlett
> <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> > One advantage of the current bootstrap system is that as long as nobody
> > deletes the CI images that are built, the existing images remain a
> > stable snapshot.  It is 'just' the bootstrap scripts that break for
> > others, and of course building a new image now becomes more difficult.
>
> Thanks for hammering that observation home!  I found it slightly
> annoying when I had to build new images to test my branch on GitLab but
> I now realise that the stability is a core feature.

Of course this is also a bit dangerous.  The worst case is very
unlikely, but if a change accidentally depends on a 3rd party libray
bug and all of the test platforms later fix the bug then our test
framework won't notice the breakage because we're using "stable"
(i.e. out-of-date) images.

It makes sense to update our CI images every so often to make sure our
tests still pass on current versions.  I'm not sure how we would do
that.  The technical part is quite clear (SAMBA_CI_REBUILD_IMAGES=yes)
but the process part is more interesting.  For example, how do
we do out-of-band CI image builds to ensure that new images are OK
before the CI system defaults to using them.

I guess the easiest way would be to add a comment to
bootstrap/.gitlab-ci.yml like:

# Rebuild: 1

(or make it actual YAML data) and increment this for every rebuild.
That would change the sha1sum so that old images are not overwritten
and the new images can be confirmed OK before pushing the change with
the incremented rebuild number.

Just an idea...

peace & happiness,
martin