Samba testing on CentOS 8

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Dec 10 03:27:44 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland,

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 15:42:27 +0000, Rowland penny via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi, based on what is all over the internet about the future of Centos,
> should we continue to test anything on Centos 8 ? I mean, we may get to
> a point where we do not know whether a fault is down to Samba code or
> code that isn't in RHEL but is in Centos stream. Just a thought and I
> could be talking out of my hat.

You make sense and I agree.  When CentOS becomes a rolling testing
stream then it will no longer be a stable platform for testing.  Amitay
and I were discussing this yesterday and we didn't come up with a good
answer. One reason why there is no good answer is that we want a stable
testing environment but sometimes Samba moves faster than the stable
distros (e.g. CentOS 7 and GNU TLS) and this might happen again,
possibly with other distros (e.g. Debian stable).

However, right now I have limited time available to make changes to our
testing environment.  So my pre-Xmas goal is to open a bug, "fix" the
CentOS 8 bootstrap script, backport the fix to 4.12/4.13 and have a
working test environment again.

Hopefully in the new year I'll find time to update autocluster to use
something else as a test environment.  Part of this is probably to add
support for the Debian family of distros.  At least then we will have
flexibility if things change.

peace & happiness,
martin