Samba + exFAT : how to avoid pre-allocating when copying big files?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 23:06:10 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 7:36 AM Joseph <j at gget.it> wrote:

> Thanks Ronnie for your answer.
>
> I've used NTFS before (ntfs-3g which uses FUSE), but it's slow on RaspberryPi (20-30 MB/s) whereas exfat can reach 70 MB/s.
> One solution would be to wait for the new ParagonSoftware open-source NTFS3 driver which will (or not?) be merged in Linux kernel.
> But I think it won't be easily available on RaspberryPi soon.
>
> So I decided to try with kernel's exfat (non-fuse) which is very fast ... except this problem.
>
> > Try adding a f.truncate(...) to set the file size after you open the
> > file but before you f.seek()
>
> You're right Ronnie: a f.truncate(1000*1000*1000) here takes 16 seconds, i.e. writing 1 GB of null bytes at 60MB/s, that sounds correct.
>
> --
>
> This is confirmed by Jeremy's analysis (via email), here is a summary obtained after looking at my logs where it gets stuck for 30+ seconds:
>
> >  smbd_do_setfilepathinfo: test/a.rar (fnum 1649140843) info_level=1020 totdata=8
>
> -> that's an SMB2 SMB_FILE_END_OF_FILE_INFORMATION call.
> -> This is going into (ultimately) vfs_set_filelen().
> ->  SMB_VFS_FTRUNCATE() call to set the length.
> -> static int vfswrap_ftruncate(vfs_handle_struct *handle, files_struct *fsp, off_t len)
> probably here? https://github.com/avati/samba/blob/master/source3/modules/vfs_default.c#L1813
>
> So two possibilities:
>
> * is there a way to set an EOF on a file descriptor on exFAT that *doesn't* do the allocation? This would require a modification in the exfat driver?

No, I don't think this is possible. exFAT just does not support the
concept of sparse files so it MUST allocate these blocks when you
change the file size.
And since it allocates blocks and makes their content visible to the
user, it MUST clear these blocks or else there would be a huge
security issue with leaking information.
(Unless the kernel would have a-priori knowledge and knowing for a
fact that these blocks are already zeroed out which would be very
hard/impossible for the kernel to know for removable media.)

Any changes for this would have to happen in exFAT since you would
need to change exFAT semantics. So I doubt it is feasible to work
around from userspace/samba.

I think a better option would be to look for other filesystems to use.
ext4?  xfs?