PATCH: make disabling of vfs_snapper consistent with our configure/build system

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Mon Aug 31 12:53:15 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 31.08.20 um 11:52 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Mon, 2020-08-31 at 11:36 +0200, Karolin Seeger via samba-technical
> wrote:
>>
>> this is currently a blocker for 4.13.0, so we need a solution asap. Can
>> we agree at least on a temporary workaround?
>> Or on shippting 4.13.0 anyway?
>
> I'm lost as to why this is blocking 4.13, can you give me the short
> version?
>
> My understanding is this:
>
> I get that Björn would like to change our mostly-but-not-entirely
> consistent position from 'all features on by default, turn them off if
> they don't work for you' (since Waf was introduced) to 'auto-figure
> what the system has' (what autoconf traditionally did).
>
> I also get that we have not been entirely consistent.
>
> But we did Waf, and much of this change, back in Samba 4.0 so why is
> this blocking the release at 4.13?

The point with 4.13.0 is, that the !snapper in the vfs module list does
not work any longer (and it does in 4.12). It has been broken by commit
7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a.

Additionally, Samba does not build by default on many non Linux
plattforms any longer. The auto dection mode "build if possible" is very
nice for vendors.

Can we revert this patch for 4.13.0?

Cheers,
Karo