tevent: fd events do not work correctly for UDP socket?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 18 16:31:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 01:46:09PM +0200, Pavel Březina via samba-technical wrote:
> When I connect to a port over UDP and nobody listens on the port tevent
> fires immediately read fd event even though there is no data available.
>
> Simple reproducer is attached. Just run 'make && ./client' and see that
> read_handler is executed immediately. When there is a process listening (nc
> -ul 3333) the handler is fired only when data is available.
>
> This probably boils down to epoll_wait but not being an epoll export, I'd
> like to ask if there is something that can be done about it or if it is an
> expected behavior.

Do strace ./client to see why this is:

The key is here:

write(1, "File descriptor is readable!\n", 29File descriptor is readable!
) = 29
read(4, 0x7fffeee02750, 254)            = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Your connect call succeeds, as it's setting up the local
binding to the remote address, but as it hasn't sent any
data yet the client hasn't noticed there's no one listening.

Once you do the:

     const char *msg = "I AM CONNECTED\n";
     write(fd, msg, strlen(msg));

call then the kernel tries to send the data, notices
there's nothing listening and so the read fd becomes
ready via EPOLL - it needs to return the error
ECONNREFUSED (we select for EPOLLIN|EPOLLERR|EPOLLHUP).

So when you call the read() in the tevent handler,
that's when you'd pick up the errno = ECONNREFUSED
error.

I don't think this is tevent specific behavior.