The way to using s4u2self in winbindd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 7 22:37:48 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-08-07 at 14:17 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an overview over the remaining tasks to make of of S4U2self
> in Samba's winbindd, which would work also via domain trusts.
>
> Given the recent discussion regarding our LDAP libraries, I'd like to
> get some feedback regarding my roadmap. No promises that I'll work on
> these items in near future, but it would be good to get NACKs as
> early
> as possible.

Thanks for the roadmap.  This is a vision I can support and I
particularly support spelling out clearly a plan in advance.

I still also have hopes to work on parts of that roadmap and if I get
the time I'll certainly let you know so we don't double up.

In particular I did mention I (Catalyst really) has a small amount of
time allocated for the testing parts, no more than a week full time
really.  My plan was to put that into some of the tests that manually
re-encode the outgoing packet in the krb5.kdc.canon.

But neither do I want to duplicate the work you already have in

https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-krb5-testing

I know I've been working with you for ages, but I still don't have
confidence on how to approach collaborating on your WIP branches.  I
just get overwhelmed with a sea of (often reverted) patches with commit
messages that mean far more to you than me, and naturally missing the
Signed-off-by because they are unfinished.

How, given this and the time constraints, can I/we usefully contribute?

It is better to just build on master a few more tests (eg add to
simple_tests) or can you give me a roadmap to your branch for some
small aspect that can be carved off and finished?  (And if so, any
guidelines on how to work with your commits)?

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT