Missing domain user tickets with winbind

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Wed Apr 1 11:34:59 UTC 2020

On ke, 01 huhti 2020, Shyam Prasad N via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Shyam Prasad. I work at Microsoft in the Azure Files team.
> For the past few days, I've been working on getting the Azure Linux VMs to
> join the AD domain in Azure, login as domain users, and mount Azure file
> shares over SMB3.
>
> Most things work fine. Except that I need perform a few Kerberos related
> tasks manually, for the SMB3 mount to work with domain user credentials.
> I did some debugging of the issue, and looks like cifs.upcall (the
> userspace helper program for cifs.ko) is unable to find the krb5 TGT for
> the domain user in the cred-cache. If the cred-cache is missing, it looks
> for it in the system krb5.keytab.
>
> Since winbind is configured with kerberos method "secrets and keytab", I
> would expect either the secrets.tdb or the krb5.keytab to have an entry for
> the domain user lxsmbadmin. Even with the domain user already logged in
> through ssh, I'm unable to get those in both those places. cred-cache file
> is not created in the first place.
>
> With the domain user already logged in through ssh, I expected that the
> kerberos TGT would already have been retrieved and stored locally.
> Where does winbind store its Kerberos tickets, so that I can point
> cifs.upcall to look there for tickets instead?

It all depends how you configured pam_winbind. Please see pam_winbind
man page for Kerberos-related options (this outpout is from 4.11.7,
newer versions have more ccache type variants):

       krb5_auth
	   pam_winbind can authenticate using Kerberos when winbindd is
	   talking to an Active Directory domain controller. Kerberos
	   authentication must be enabled with this parameter. When
	   Kerberos authentication can not succeed (e.g. due to clock
	   skew), winbindd will fallback to samlogon authentication over
	   MSRPC. When this parameter is used in conjunction with
	   winbind refresh tickets, winbind will keep your Ticket
	   Granting Ticket (TGT) uptodate by refreshing it whenever
           necessary.

       krb5_ccache_type=[type]
	   When pam_winbind is configured to try kerberos authentication
	   by enabling the krb5_auth option, it can store the retrieved
	   Ticket Granting Ticket (TGT) in a credential cache. The type
	   of credential cache can be set with this option.  Currently
	   the only supported value is: FILE. In that case a credential
	   cache in the form of /tmp/krb5cc_UID will be created, where
	   UID is replaced with the numeric user id. Leave empty to just
	   do kerberos authentication without having a
           ticket cache after the logon has succeeded.