Writing a Windows Explorer plugin that uses a Vendor Specific FSCTL to access extra metadata about files from Samba

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 18:53:57 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

Over the last few weeks, as a part-time activity, I have been writing
a Windows Explorer plugin that uses a Vendor Specific FSCTL to
communicate with a Samba VFS module to retrieve some of the plethora
of extra metadata we have in our file system.

It also allows us to set some of that metadata as well.

Since knowing that something can be done is often the most important
step in doing that thing, I thought I would mention it.

I hope to find the time to provide a tutorial on this subject as well,
probably on the Samba Wiki.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe