Use internal DNS to forward zone

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 13 06:57:04 UTC 2019

On 13/09/2019 01:22, Juan Pablo Lorier via samba-technical wrote:
> As far as I've been able to find, there's no up to date information if
> the with internal samba 4 DNS I can set a forwarder server for a
> specific zone.
I think you are miss-understanding the use of a forwarder in Samba DNS.

> I've set the dns forwarder option in smb.conf but seems to have no
> effect as I can dig @ the forward server and get the reply but samba
> DNS does not get the reply.

I think you mean that you can run a command similar to this: 'dig
my.AD.dns.domain' and you get a reply and that you can also run a
command similar to this: 'dig google.com' and also get a reply, if so,
then everything is correct.

A Samba AD DC is authoritative for its dns domain and will return
information for everything inside its own dns domain. For anything
outside its dns domain, it asks its forwarder and returns the result
from the forwarder.

> Is there a way to get this done? Should I see the integration with
> BIND for real DNS server features?
Samba and Bind9 work in exactly the same way

I have cc'ed the samba mailing list, because this is where you should
have asked this question, please make any replies to the samba mailing list.

Rowland