Automating usage of smbspool_krb5_wrapper

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Oct 28 07:12:59 UTC 2019

On Monday, 28 October 2019 07:32:13 CET Mikhail Novosyolov via samba-technical
wrote:
> Currently there are 2 alternatives for /var/lib/cups/backend/smb:
> - /usr/bin/smbspool for printing to an SMB printer
> - /usr/lib(64)/samba/smbspool_krb5_wrapper
> for printing to an SMB printer with Kerberos authentication (e.g. inside
> Active Directory domain). It makes use of Kerberos ccache of a user who
> made the printing task instead of ccache of ldp daemon user.
>
> In Fedora, as I could understand from samba.spec
> (https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/samba/blob/master/f/samba.spec),
> package samba-krb5-printing has to be installed when it is needed to
> switch from smbspool to smbspool_krb5_wrapper.

Samba only provides smbspool and smbspool_krb5_wrapper. Installing it as a
CUPS backend is done by downstream, e.g. Fedora.

You should discuss it there. However there is probably a historic reason for
smbspool_krb5_wrapper being in a separate package. Maybe the package could be
installed by default or as a recommondation.

So open a bug downstream :-)

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D