gnutls requirements for samba 4.11 rpmbuild on CentOS7

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 10 01:03:19 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-10-07 at 14:23 +0200, Denis Cardon via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Le 10/07/2019 à 12:56 PM, Andreas Schneider a écrit :
> > On Monday, 7 October 2019 11:32:15 CEST Denis Cardon via samba-
> > technical
> > wrote:
> > > It is built against Heimdal kerberos. The samba.spec is taken
> > > from
> > > Fedora (thanks Günter and Andreas for doing all the hard work!)
> > > and
> > > modified to switch from MIT to Heimdal. Actually the hard part
> > > for
> > > building 4.11 on CentOS7 is the requirement gnutls>=3.4.7.
> >
> > Hi Denis!
> >

> > Samba 3.4.7 is only required for MIT Kerberos. If you build with
> > Heimdal
> > GnuTLS >= 3.2 is just fine. Just change the required version in the
> > spec file.
> >

> > With Samba 4.12, GnuTLS >= 3.4.7 will be required!
> >
> > https://blog.cryptomilk.org/2019/10/02/samba-and-gnutls/
>
> Dear me! I misread the requirements and thought it was necessary
> from
> 4.11 onward, whatever Kerberos implementation was being used...
>
> I should have taken more time reading thoroughly your blog post! The
> good side is that I learned a few more things on rpm packaging...
>
> I does make building 4.11 definitely much easier on CentOS7... And
> by
> next year CentOS8, which ships gnutls 3.6.5, will get traction when
> the
> new and shiny samba 4.12 will be released!
>
> Thanks for the input!

Yeah, that's why I only dared to do this for the 4.12 release.  That
said, I know there will still be demand for this to work on CentOS7
regardless so these learnings will be really helpful.

We know we put folks packaging Samba in a difficult spot so seeing how
this plays out will help us understand what we can and can't reasonably
depend on in the future.

Personally I'm hopeful that this goes well enough that we can bump the
version up again and remove some more #ifdef and AES code.

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba