Samba and legacy Windows support

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Oct 8 11:05:14 UTC 2019

Am 08.10.19 um 10:59 schrieb Andreas Schneider via samba-technical:
> Samba with version 4.11 currently still support a lot of systems which are
> already out of support. We still get bugs to either fix support for Windows
> NT4 or OS/2. Also we know that Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory is
> still deployed.
>
> In order to remove support for those platforms which are very long EOL, we
> should try to make announcements when we plan to remove support.
>
> ## Steps planned
>
> With Samba 4.12 we plan to disable SMB1 by default and then remove support for
> it in Samba 4.13 or 4.14. This means end of 2020 or beginning of 2021.
>
> If we remove support for SMB1, we could also remove support for NTLMv1 and
> Kerberos support for DES, 3DES and maybe RC4. Already on Fedora 31 use of
> these encryption types is blocked by the default system-wide policy and is not
> available through MIT Kerberos. DES support is fully removed from MIT Kerberos
> 1.17.
>
> NTMLv2 is still widely used and it uses RC4. This means we can't remove
> support for it till there is a valid replacement for the pure file server
> case.
>
> ## Questions
>
> * Can we remove NTLMv1 and LM keys for Samba 4.12 (remove `libcli/auth/
> smbdes.c`)?

I think we need to deprecated that first.

> * Can we remove DES and 3DES Kerberos support for Samba 4.12?

Yes. The question is how to store the keys.
Is there a way to disable DES on Windows, so that we could
check what they store in the Primary:Kerberos-Newer-Keys
and Primary:Kerberos blobs in that case.

> * When can we remove RC4 support with Kerberos?

I think we need to keep that, because not every account
has aes keys, as the password might not be changed.

metze