Samba and legacy Windows support

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Oct 8 10:43:34 UTC 2019

Hi Andreas,

On 10/8/19 10:59 AM, Andreas Schneider via samba-technical wrote:
> Samba with version 4.11 currently still support a lot of systems which are
> already out of support. We still get bugs to either fix support for Windows
> NT4 or OS/2. Also we know that Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory is
> still deployed.
>
> In order to remove support for those platforms which are very long EOL, we
> should try to make announcements when we plan to remove support.
>
> ## Steps planned
>
> With Samba 4.12 we plan to disable SMB1 by default

as already pointed out by Rowland: mission accomplished with 4.11. :)

> and then remove support for
> it in Samba 4.13 or 4.14. This means end of 2020 or beginning of 2021.

We can't remove it unless existing SMB1 tests are converted to SMB2.
Thankfully, it seems David and Noel took the stab. But we can't announce
until this is completed.

> If we remove support for SMB1, we could also remove support for NTLMv1 and
> Kerberos support for DES, 3DES and maybe RC4. Already on Fedora 31 use of
> these encryption types is blocked by the default system-wide policy and is not
> available through MIT Kerberos. DES support is fully removed from MIT Kerberos
> 1.17.

Sounds good, though crypto is not my game.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/