samba 4.11 rpmbuild on CentOS7

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Sun Oct 6 21:59:43 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I have given a look tonight at building rpm of Samba 4.11 for
CentOS7[1]. The need for gnutls >= 3.4.7 makes it quite challenging!

Taking on the work of Sergiomb[2] and Nico Kadel Garcias[3], I compiled
nettle and gnutls and then went on building the other stuff (which was
more business as usual).

I have a few question about packaging:

* is it ok to use the latest gnutls 3.6.10? It seems the 3.4 serie is
not maintained since late 2016. What would be the recommended version?

* I had some library file conflict between stock CentOS7 and custom
packages when compiling gnutls-dane, gnutls-guile and gnutls-c++. As
there are no dependencies on them, I didn't build support for them ad I
guess it was safe to side-step them as far as Samba is concerned.

* EPEL lmdb version is 0.9.22 while upstream is 0.9.24. As I have had
some issues with lmdb backend in the last year, I was wondering if
testing was done against the latest 0.9.24 or 0.9.22 should be enough?

* when doing some samba-tool command, the logger is configured to be
very talkative, like "INFO 2019-10-06 23:46:09,446 pid:23294
/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py #453:
Administrator password will be set randomly!", and looking at the
get_logger() inherited methods or other eventual configuration, I have
not found where the talkative pattern is set... (perhaps it is too late
and I should go to sleep!).

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://samba.tranquil.it/centos7/samba-4.11.0/