Converting SMB1 tests to SMB2

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Wed Oct 2 05:43:40 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 22:55:35 CEST Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 02:54:08PM +0000, David Mulder via samba-technical
wrote:
> > Noel and I are looking at converting any old SMB tests that target the
> > SMB1 protocols to SMB2+. Is anyone else already working on this? Does
> > anyone have some pointers?
> "Congratulations, you've decided to clean the elevator... !" (from
> the movie Dark Star :-).
>
> No, no one else is working on this I'm afaid. As I add
> new tests I usually make sure they're SMB2+ only, as
> that's what we want to target going forward.
>
> Best advice I can give is to move them over one
> at a time, probably starting with the isolated
> ones.
>
> As you move them, take the opportunity to clean
> up some of the old failure paths - ensuring they
> start and end with a clean and empty directory
> tree. Some of our flaky tests have been caused
> by 'old' data being left from a previous test.

Also allow via an environment variable to not do the cleanup afterwards!

TORTURE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1

Also we had a very bad practice with torture tests! We need to change that.
Make sure that always torture_assert_*_goto() is used and that the goto cleans
up (memory, connections, etc.). A test should run with asan, ubsan, etc.

In case of a failure the test should return the state and not always true!

An example for a well written torture test is:

source4/torture/rpc/iremotewinspool_driver.c

Just my 2 cents ;-)

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D