[Samba] moved DM config to new server : gids different etc

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 16:33:05 UTC 2019

On 26/11/2019 16:19, L.P.H. van Belle via samba-technical wrote:
> Hai Stefan,
>
> Remove the netbios alias and then put that as CNAME in the DNS
> Verify if the server its PTR is set also.
>
> And yeah, your totaly correct that your ACL is messed up..
> Because your using backend RID.
>
> The "advantage" of backend AD.
> Consistent IDs on all Samba clients and servers using the ad back end.
>
> Which is also the DISAVANTAGE of RID.
> IN-Consistent IDs on all Samba clients and servers with RID.
>

> Maybe im bit wrong here, with recent updates, .. Then Rowland will correct me.. ;-)
> But this is exactly why i ONLY use AD backends.

Using the 'ad' backend gives you a few advantages, you will always get
the same IDs everywhere, including DCs, you can set individual Unix home
directories and login shells.

If you use the 'rid' backend, you must use template lines in smb.conf,
so everyone gets the same home dir and shell. To get the same IDs, you
must use the same 'idmap config' lines on every Unix domain member, but
they will not affect Samba AD DCs, the IDs there will be different.

Rowland