Samba smaller: 10.4mb smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 15 01:44:06 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-11-15 at 14:34 +1300, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> For some reason I had another go at this, and have things down to
> 11.1MB.
>
> This is NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE, because I have to cut out some
> important things, but the idea is to prove that by reducing the
> linkage
> to the ndr-table subsystem, we can avoid bringing in unused code to
> eg
> parse drsuapi.
>
> Anyone wanting to take this further will need to work out how to get
> the appropriate interface tables for the specific pipes we need to
> use
> internally.  It would also be very worthwhile working to understand
> why
> we depend on what is left, and seeing if we can trim that some more.
>
> I used:

By not building all the modules, I was able to reduce it to 10.4mb.

CFLAGS="-DSAMBA_SMALLER -O2 -flto -fwhole-program " LDFLAGS="-O2 -flto
-fwhole-program " ./configure --bundled-
libraries=talloc,tdb,pytdb,ldb,pyldb,tevent,pytevent --with-static-
modules='!FORCED' --with-shared-modules='!FORCED' --nonshared-
binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd --with-system-mitkrb5 --without-ad-dc --
without-ads --disable-python && ./buildtools/bin/waf --
targets=smbd/smbd

If any vendors wish to work with me to make this production, so that
they can upgrade to a modern Samba version in constrained environments,
please do be in touch, as I would be very glad to work with you!

Thanks!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba