feedback on ldap improvement in samba 4.11

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Nov 13 10:24:51 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the improvement in memory
handling in ldap server in samba 4.11 that were announced in the changelog.

I was doing some debug on OOMKiller issues on a Samba-AD 4.9 with a
large database in production. There are some buggy softwares that make
queries for all users (the most peculiar one I have seen is a print
driver...) and Samba 4.9 properly handles the query but allocate around
2GiB RAM for the query while the client downloads the result. With a
handfull of such queries piling up it can quickly run the server out of
memory.

On the other hand with Samba-4.11 memory is allocated in a much more
frugal way and it can handle hundred of such buggy queries without
crashing (it may be slow but it does not crash). So kudos the Catalyst
dev team for that great piece of work!

About the prefork model, the master ldap process is properly restarting
the child process after a SIGTERM but it is not restarting after a
SIGKILL. Is it normal?

Cheers,

Denis

--