Btrfs remote reflink with Samba

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Mon May 20 12:40:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, 20 May 2019 14:14:48 +0200, Patrik Lundquist wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 13:58, Austin S. Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-05-20 07:15, Newbugreport wrote:
> > > Patrik, thank you. I've enabled the SAMBA module, which may help in the future. Does the GUI file manager (i.e. Nautilus) need special support?
> > It shouldn't (Windows' default file manager doesn't, and most stuff on
> > Linux uses Samba so it shouldn't either, not sure about macOS though).
>
> The client side needs support for FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK. Nautilus uses
> gvfsd-smb which in turn uses the Samba libs, but I have no idea if it
> works. Maybe David Disseldorp knows?

libsmbclient copychunk functionality was added via:
https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=f73bcf4934be
IIRC, it was added with the intention of being used by Nautilus.
That said, I've not tried it myself, and I don't see any reference to
splice in:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/blob/master/daemon/gvfsbackendsmb.c
(Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?).

Cheers, David