[PROPOSAL] Release ldb with Samba on the 6-montly release cycle

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 3 07:18:44 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 09:55 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> Basically, my personal opinion is that this situation is pushing more
> unjustified work into hands of our downstream consumers (vendors).
> I'm
> not talking about it on behalf of my employer, it is purely my own
> opinion, but I can see this an additional overhead for some.

So, perhaps this is a useful approach.

First, stop tagging ldb versions in master.

Second, merge MR 374 (which leaves the ability to produce tarballs, and
tests this in autobuild, but aligns the version numbers)

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/374

Third, stop producing ldb tarballs in the release process.

I'm not convinced such downstream consumers that have the needs you
indicate above exist, but you suggest they do and I'm not sure we have
a good way to tell.   So perhaps they do and are forced into such
burdens, then I'm sure they will ask and we will know for sure.

In that case either they can either run 'make dist' themselves or we
can, knowing they really exist.

How does that sound?