[gitlab-ci] shared tag added to rackspace private runners to avoid pending jobs

joeg at catalyst.net.nz joeg at catalyst.net.nz
Fri May 3 06:11:16 UTC 2019

Hi team,

Our shared jobs in gitlab ci got pending quite often recently, which
seems because we hit the daily free ci resource limit.

After discussion with Andrew Bartlett, I rebuilt our rackspace private
runner with these changes:

1. increase check_interval from 5s to 10s.

2. add `shared` tag to private runners.

This implies, when a shared job is triggered, if no shared runner picks
it up, our private runner will do.

The 10s check_interval will make our private runner slower than shared
ones to pick up jobs, which save the cost.

This also means, the shared jobs which always ran on shared runners
before may run on private runners from now on, which may cause flappy
failures.

This is an experiment to try to fix the jobs pending issue.

If it doesn't work and annoys you, please let me know.

I will try to improve the solution or revert it back.

Joe Guo

--
Joe Guo
joeg at catalyst.net.nz