Buildbot cifs/smb3 testing improvements

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Mar 20 08:19:31 UTC 2019

Am 20.03.19 um 09:11 schrieb ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just added 2 more tests (339 and 450) to the cifs-testing group of
>> automated 'buildbot' tests, and 3 more tests to the Azure group (339,
>> 450, 451), and thought it would be a good time to recap the progress
>>
>> We now execute:
>> - 89 xfstest subtests in the 'cifs-testing' group (various servers),
>> some repeated with various configurations.  This is about 3x more
>> tests than were executed  four months ago when the buildbot was setup
>> and we had our first successful runs.
>> - 17 tests in the 'DFS' group
>> - 78 in the Azure testing group.  Just in this month we have added 14 tests.
>>
>> Our goal is to continue to add tests as we fix more bugs and add more
>> cifs/smb3 features to reduce the possibility of regressions (it has
>> already been useful for that and caught a few potential regressions
>> before merges).   This is very exciting, and made possibly by good
>> work by Ronnie, Paulo and Aurelien.
>>

> That is very good news and progress for cifs.ko
> so a round of self-applause and self-congratulation is
> in order.
> Hooray for us. We have made good progress.
> (We are adopting good development practices.)
>
> I really like how this project have allowed us to focus better on problem areas.
> If nothing else, the huge number of bugfixes that have allowed us to so
> significantly improve quality and how many tests are passing is testament
> to the importance of a test infrastructure.
>

> At some stage I would really like to see a Soft-ROCE server with samba+rdma
> in the test environment so we can at last have basic testing of out RMDA code
> automatically done before we send push requests upstream.
> Anyone that knows how to set up samba with RDMA and Soft-ROCE
> please ping us.

It's not supported by Samba yet, sorry. See
https://www.samba.org/~metze/presentations/2018/SDC/StefanMetzmacher_SDC2018-SMB-Direct-Status-rev1-compact.pdf
for the current state.

So far I wasn't able to use the upstream cifs.ko with smbdirect with any
kind of RDMA driver at all against Windows.

metze