Buildbot cifs/smb3 testing improvements

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:11:40 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just added 2 more tests (339 and 450) to the cifs-testing group of
> automated 'buildbot' tests, and 3 more tests to the Azure group (339,
> 450, 451), and thought it would be a good time to recap the progress
>
> We now execute:
> - 89 xfstest subtests in the 'cifs-testing' group (various servers),
> some repeated with various configurations.  This is about 3x more
> tests than were executed  four months ago when the buildbot was setup
> and we had our first successful runs.
> - 17 tests in the 'DFS' group
> - 78 in the Azure testing group.  Just in this month we have added 14 tests.
>
> Our goal is to continue to add tests as we fix more bugs and add more
> cifs/smb3 features to reduce the possibility of regressions (it has
> already been useful for that and caught a few potential regressions
> before merges).   This is very exciting, and made possibly by good
> work by Ronnie, Paulo and Aurelien.

That is very good news and progress for cifs.ko
so a round of self-applause and self-congratulation is
in order.
Hooray for us. We have made good progress.
(We are adopting good development practices.)

I really like how this project have allowed us to focus better on problem areas.
If nothing else, the huge number of bugfixes that have allowed us to so
significantly improve quality and how many tests are passing is testament
to the importance of a test infrastructure.

At some stage I would really like to see a Soft-ROCE server with samba+rdma
in the test environment so we can at last have basic testing of out RMDA code
automatically done before we send push requests upstream.
Anyone that knows how to set up samba with RDMA and Soft-ROCE
please ping us.

But for now, lets celebrate the progress we are making.

Regards
ronnie sahlberg