Re-index performance - default tdb sizes.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 19 23:27:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-03-20 at 12:08 +1300, Gary Lockyer via samba-technical
wrote:
> With the expectation that it would make no difference I changed the size
> the in memory tdb used by re-indexing from 1000 to 100,000 and ran it
> against a 100,000 user domain.  Times went from 16 minutes 30 seconds to
> 44 seconds.
>
> This does suggest that we should look at the default sizes we use to
> create our tdb databases with especially on larger domains.

In particular, I'm wondering if the default size used for the on-disk
ldb (10,000), winbind's caches (at 10,000) are still appropriate.

I'm also quite concerned that many seem to have 0 passed as the hash
size, which is defaulting to just 131 as I read it!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba