Empy or false string conversion (was :fix string to integer conversion)

swen swen at linux.ibm.com
Tue Mar 19 08:21:22 UTC 2019

Hi Ralph

thanks for your quick reply and your review.

..as always a few comments, I know you're waiting for them :-)

On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 18:57 +0100, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:39:53AM +0100, swen wrote:
> > Please review and push if happy.
>
> I think there are a few issues, please see the attached patchset.
>
> I'm wondering wich errno to return for the invalid string case. I'm
> leaning
> towards also returning EINVAL, not ENODATA. What do you think?
> Jeremy?
I have no strong opinion about the return value, but thought it might
be a good idea for future use where we might want to distiguish between
real conversion errors and just no conversion.

[2/14] FIXUP: change error checking order;
I don't think this is right. This way endptr won't be set in case of an
error and that is a change in behaviour.
What is the benefit of this re-order ?

The other FIXUP [12/14] is ok with me.

How do you want to proceed from here ? Do you want to process the
patches as they are in the file or do you wnat me to integrate your
updates into the existing patches (one would remove both patches).

Either way I don't mind, just let me know.

Oh, could you please re-consider the re-order !?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Cheers Swen