A bit of benchmarking ...

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Mar 1 08:38:37 UTC 2019

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:52:26 PM CET Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 03:50:45PM +0100, Andreas Schneider via samba-
technical wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as you might have noticed from my commits, I'm working on migrating Samba
> > to GnuTLS. I've already done some work and there is still a lot ahead,
> > but as I've migrated SMB3 encryption the last days I've did a bit of
> > benchmarking ...
> >
> > https://hackmd.io/s/S1bJnG4IN#
> >
> > callgrind output as requested by metze is here:
> >
> > https://xor.cryptomilk.org/samba/crypto/
> >
> > The numbers for gnutls could be a bit better, I need to malloc buffers and
> > memcpy vectors into them.
> >
> > Lately they added a gnutls_aead_cipher_encryptv() so we could pass in the
> > vector directly. However they don't work inplace and there is no decryptv
> > function. So I've opened bugs so we get better APIs.
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/717
> > https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/718
> > https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/719
>
> Oh, this looks really great Andreas - thanks !
>
> It would be wonderful to move from any home-grown
> crypto to GnuTLS for everything !

I've tested AES-GCM with Samba Crypto (Intel AES NI) and GnuTLS.

TL;DR

Samba Crypto (Intel AES NI):  10 min
GnuTLS:                       12 sec

https://hackmd.io/s/S1bJnG4IN

Also AES-GCM is faster than AES-CCM if we use GnuTLS.

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D