Empy or false string conversion (was :fix string to integer conversion)

swen swen at linux.ibm.com
Fri Mar 1 07:32:04 UTC 2019

Hi Ralph

First of all I changed the subject not that others think this patchset
is still ongoing.

On Thu, 2019-02-28 at 13:24 +0100, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 01:16:00PM +0100, swen wrote:
> > Just out of interest, what needs to be done from your point of view
> > get the last one in as well ?
>
> all callers must be updated by removing all checks but the string not
> consumed
> completey checks. The latter is left to the callers that really need
> this.
I'm sorry but I do not get what you're saying.

I think your initial comment that a no-conserion check is missing,
is totally valid.
But I do not get what needs to be changed on the caller side.
A "no-conversion" situation must be flag'ed by an error to a callee
(ENODATA might be good) as otherwise the code continues taking a zero
as a successful ret-val.
I did not see any code fragment which used this circumstand as
"nice" or wanted side-effect.

However, I did see a few code paths explicitly checking for a full
string consumption, but those paths were treated as if an error
occured.

So could you please explain what is missing where under which
circumstances ?

Cheers Swen