Document GitLab as the only way to contribute to Samba?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Jun 28 10:46:25 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-21 at 13:05 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:

> [...]
> So, I would like to propose this.  That given the practice of the Samba
> Team and almost all contributors is to contribute via a merge request
> against https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba that we document this, and
> only this, as how to contribute to new patches to Samba.
>
> [...]
>
> Essentially it would mean a better version of this being prominently
> placed:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_CI_on_gitlab#Creating_a_merge_request

There is one thing I find confusing about the above page and that
needs to be cleared: It creates the impression that the only way
to file a merge request for samba via gitlab is to get access to
the CI repository https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba
and push to a personal subdir+branch there and create a MR from there.

In contrast, if I get it right, I think the *normal* way to file a MR,
would be to create your own personal fork of https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba
on gitlab, push your branch there, and create a MR from there.
Upon filing the MR, the CI is triggered on the proposed patchset.

My understanding is that the CI repo is intended to give access
to the CI with*out* requiring to file a MR to the main repo.
This is useful for team member and regular contributors who want
to test their WIP code against the CI and don't want to clobber
the MR space with those possibly many many throw-away MRs and
CI runs.

Is that understanding correct?

If this is correct, then we need an entirely different document
for describing the contribution flow via gitlab.

Thanks - Michael