[HEADS-UP] Using stored immutable file birth time for SMB File-ID

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Jun 26 18:08:37 UTC 2019

On 6/26/19 7:59 PM, Ralph Boehme via samba-technical wrote:
> On 6/26/19 6:12 PM, David Disseldorp wrote:
>> - given that this issue is Apple client specific, is there a need for
>>   this new logic to be implemented outside of vfs_fruit?
>
> yes, I think our current semantics based on inodes is dumb and we need a
> general fix.

an additional note: from an implementation perspective it would be ideal
to store the additional state in an existing xattr, instead of an
additional one.

We need to fetch the state for directory enumerations and getxattr can
be slow, especially with fuse based filesytems which many of our
consumers love these days. So piggypacking this onto the existing DOS
xattr seemed like a clever idea.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/