Bug reports and misconfigured/missing smb.conf or system setup (resolving)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jun 26 10:19:45 UTC 2019

Hai guys,

Now, i went through some bugreports and same as on the samba list, i noticed lots of report with incorrect smb.conf or system setup's.

Since the basic resolving settings/setup are soo important, we need to have some better checks on that.
What i suggest, Rowland and I made this script. :
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh

I started with it because to many people have wrong settings and you guys really can use your time much beter on real bugs.

So what i suggest, the above script is made/tested on debian and related.
I still have things to add, but if we can improve this so it works for RH/Centos, Arch linux, maybe few others also, this will really help in finding incorrect settings.
we could/should use something like this, it standarize the debug info more, and that really helps debugging.

For the list, where i use it most, it helped multiple people that where struggeling weeks in there settings and where killing samba's its AD-DB.
I also suggest, every bugreport should have this, unless you guys are really sure its a bug in samba.

What do you guys  think?

Greetz,

Louis