[Release Planning 4.11] release notes !PLEASE READ!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 21 09:47:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 11:23 +0200, Karolin Seeger via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as Samba 4.11.0rc1 is scheduled for July 9, we need to fill in
> release
> notes. So, please describe what improvements/new features you have
> introduced since 4.10. Please remember that this is very important
> a) for your own visibilty :-),
> b) Samba's reputation,
> c) users/admins using Samba.
>
> If you don't want to add the changes yourself, please send me either
> your text or at least a few bullet points.
>
> Thanks a lot!

We (those involved in the work) will get you proper text for a massive
performance improvement in our AD DC:
 * new LDB pack format allowing operation at the 100,000 user + 100,000
computer scale
 * LDAP server memory efficiency improvements
 * Many other small changes along the way to allow practical operation
at that scale

Also LDB index safety improvements (the patches that just landed) and
the bootstrap system showing users what packages they need to install
to build samba from source.

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org