Document GitLab as the only way to contribute to Samba?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 21 08:57:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 09:42 +0100, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 21/06/2019 09:30, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Given that, do you see the advantage in having a single, uniform,
> > 'right' way to submit patches?  Is there anything more I can to to
> > help
> > you support, or at least not object to, my proposal?
>
> Are you telling me that you do not read patches any more and rely on
> any
> potential patches passing the git-lab tests ?

I don't review patches sent on the mailing list.

I look at patches on GitLab, particularly those that have the
reassuring 'tick' indicating they compile and pass the tests, and work
hard to carefully review those.  As part of that I provide feedback and
work with the submitter to get them ready for inclusion in Samba.

This has been a very effective strategy in the year so far, and I would
prefer contributors didn't miss out by following the 'wrong'
instructions.

Hence my proposal.

If you do decide to join GitLab you can be notified of activity there
and see the review work of me and others, it is quite busy these days!

> > Finally, I would encourage you to try out GitLab, it is much easier
> > support something you have used, and my offer still stands.
>
> No thanks, being told your programming is crap once, was enough for
> myself.

I'm very sorry you feel that way.

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org